Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lime Semifreddo with berries

Once again I bought a Bon Appetite Magazine that I do not need, but I have an addiction to them. As I thumbed through it I spotted a wonderful looking desert called meyer lemon semifreddo with summer berries. Well, I didn't have any meyer lemons, and I didn't have all of those berries, but I did have a bunch of whipping cream I needed to use up, lots of eggs from our chickens a few strawberries from the local strawberry farmer and a few blueberries from the market and a whole wad of limes that my husband bought, and I wasn't sure what I was suppose to do with. Ding Ding Ding! That's it, make this desert with limes! If it's good with lemons, it will be good with limes right? Boy! was I right!
Here's what it looked like, almost straight out of the freezer. I couldn't get a picture of it before half of it was gone.
And this is what a single serving looked like served up with berries:
You can find the meyer lemon version of this recipe in June 2008 Bon Appetite magazine, or you can probably pull it up on www.bonappetite.com or www.epicurious.com

My version used about a 1/2 cup of slivered almonds (sliced would be better, like the original recipe calls for, I was just working with what I had)
1 3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1 1/4 cups plus 2 tbsp sugar
7 egg yolks
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 tbsp plus 2 tsp grated lime peel ( went light on this, as lime zest can be more bitter then lemon zest.)
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups strawberries and blue berries, and a few raspberries I had left before my daughter ate them all.

Line a 9x5x3 loaf pan with plastic wrap and leave a generous overlap. Sprinkle the almonds over the bottom. Beat whipping cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form and refrigerate while making custard.

Whisk 1 1/4 cups sugar, egg yolks, lime juice, lime zest and salt in a large metal bowl until blended. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until the mixture is thick and fluffy. It should read 170 degrees with an insta read thermometer. This should take about 4 minutes. Remove from simmering water and beat until cool, thick and doubled in volume with an electric mixer (6 minutes). Fold in the chilled whipped cream. Put the mixture in the loaf pan, smooth the top and tap lightly to get rid of air bubbles. Fold the plastic over the top to cover. Freeze until firm (8 hours or overnight).

Mix the berries with 2 tbsp of sugar.

Unfold the plasticwrap and invert onto a platter; remove plastic wrap. Slice with a knife that has been dipped in hot water; cut crosswise into 1" slices, place on a plate and spoon berries over. Eat and enjoy!!!!

No comments: