Saturday, September 25, 2010

Flat Bread Pizza's

I discovered this great recipe to make Naan from my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book. I used the Boule recipe which is 3 cups of lukewarm water, 1 1/2 tablespoons yeast, 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt, 6 1/2 cups unsifted, unbleached, all purpose white flour. I put all of this in my stand mixer with a bread hook, mix it up, put it in a bowl, covered but not sealed, and left for the day until a need a piece of dough. For the naan I pulled a peach size piece of this dough off, dusted it with flour, shaped it into a ball by stretching the surface around to the bottom on all four sides. I rolled the ball of dough out to a thickness of about 1/8 inch to a diameter of about 8 inches. I heated up my cast iron skillet with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, dropped my dough in the pan, lowered the heat and covered it. I flipped the bread after about 3 minutes and browned the bread on both sides. When the naan felt firm I removed it from the pan.

My kids love naan, so they loved this bread, but we took it a step further and made a whole meal out of it. We topped it with various cheeses, pizza sauce, mushrooms and a few other things. What ever each of us wanted on our naan pizza, put it in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes and we had a delicious dinner that the kids loved and will be asking for again and a again. It was fast, easy, and healthy.

No comments: