Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sandwich debate revisited

Ok. I was never able to get my husband to redraw his ingenious description of how to fold a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but he did write, in his oh so geologist, scientific way, his description of folding a pb&j, and I attempted to follow his instructions and take pictures. So, here is the end result:
In the words of my Engineering Geologist man:


well you see, the fold along the axis of symmetry attempts to make a perfect peanut-butter seal (PPBS) that is almost impossible to attain without significant materials testing and engineering design that provide lateral set-back recommendations for the wetted jelly perimeter (WJP) based on a probabilistic analysis of a three layer viscosity model and the expected loads applied by the crushing vice-grip (CVG) of a three year old child. Over-designing the lateral seal on the PPBS


in an attempt to provide a margin of safety (MOS) against lateral jelly blowout (LJB) creates a long, dry crusted perimeter (DCP) that is largely unpalatable to children. Making a buffered peanut-butter seal (BPBS) by folding across the axis of symmetry provides a MOS against LJB by taking advantage of the outer PB seal using the existing puff-top crust (PTC) morphology of the bread slice. The seal is thick, but shorter and holds a large pouch of jelly that more than makes up for any DCP. The BPBS is so robust, it can be gripped by the PTC in a CVG and the potential for LJB is well within the MOS.

Now, I know what you're thinking.
"I'm seeing some blowout here."
You must keep in mind, that even though I was born and raised in California, and I'm a self proclaimed Mexicophile, I cannot for the life of me fold a proper burrito, so to expect me to follow these instructions and properly fold my husbands perfect PB&J that can be gripped by a PTC in a CVG is just insane. I hope to get him to demonstrate the fold himself, while I have camera in hand and provide you with pic's on a professionals' ability to properly fold a pb&j. In the mean time, I challenge you to try, and please share your results. I'm anxious to hear.
YUM!

No comments: