Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Kim's Moroccon Lamb Stew

So, for the mystery dinner that was awaiting my love.......

Moroccan Lamb Stew ala Kim.

I looked at 4 or 5 different Moroccan lamb stew recipes and threw together my own inspired by them. I mixed cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, cardamom, turmeric, curry powder, cumin, cloves, paprika, some red pepper flakes and nutmeg. One 1/4 to 1 tsp  of each and around 2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
I coated the lamb stew (2 lbs) in the spice mixture and seared the meat in about a tablespoon of olive oil and threw that in the crock pot.  I then took a walla walla onion and coarsely chopped it and seared it in the same pan in about 2 tablespoons of butter until soft.  That went into the crock pot next.  Here is what went in next:
3 carrots peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped dried black mission figs
1/4 cup dried chopped apricots
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon chopped garlic or more
juice squeezed from half a lemon
4 tablespoons of orange infused honey
2 cups of my homemade lamb stock and 2 cups of canned chicken stock.  I would have used all lamb stock, but I was down to my last 2 cups and I don't have fresh lamb bones to readily make more, so we went with chicken stock.  Beef or veggie would have worked just as well.

This all sat in a crock pot for over 9 hours.  Man did the house smell good when I walked in!

When my Superman got home I cooked up some Near East cous cous, he heated up some Pita bread with some cheddar cheese melted inside, and we topped our stew with some plain Greek yogurt and Sirachi.  And dinner was served..... ( I meant to serve this with cilantro - but forgot.  Oops!)
And damn! It rocked!
What will be next? Hmmm............

No comments: