Sunday, October 21, 2007

Your Goose Is Cooked


Our friends Tom and Susan hold an annual Tsunami Party. Tom being a geologist throws this party for a geology group that helps to raise awareness about Tsunami's and Tsunami safety. This year there were a couple of bands, both awesome. One was a ska band the other reggae. One of the singers of the reggae band caught on to the fact that John was cooking a goose, and next thing we know there's a reggae song dedicated to John. "He cooked the goose, but he did not kill it".

The cooking of the goose started with me stepping outside to the BBQ area and noticing that there were a couple of goose carcasses sitting on the table with a ton of pin feathers still attached and a wing on each. (Apparently a requirement of Fish and Game to show that they are Canada geese.) I asked Gio, another geologist celebrating the potential Tsunami, if he was planning on cooking those like that. He didn't say yes, but his waffling implied, that yes he was. Half feathered, and no spices they were going to go on. I couldn't hang with that. I said, "would you like some seasoning or something?" Gio said, "That would be great if you want to do it." I said, "Give me that." Off to the kitchen I went. Now, many people at this party have hunted or appreciate the sport, but there were just as many, if not more who are vegetarians, and probably card carrying PETA members. Those people were a bit put out with my breaking of bones and tearing off of wings. The mere presence of a bird carcass in the sink was sending them off to the vomitorium. I was enjoying that immensely. Sorry, I'm with Anthony Bourdain here. Vegetarians, especially the self righteous moronic ones who want to tell me what to eat, when they have no damn clue where their own food comes from, suck! Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.

So, on with the cooked goose. I cleaned and ripped, and I finished off the plucking while my friend Laurie lovingly rubbed the goose down in olive oil and cajun blackening seasoning and happily stuffed it, as guys looked on admiring her stuffing the rear end of the carcass, with onions, garlic and apples. We delivered the prize to John and the ready BBQ. Coals were burning low and slow and that's what the goose needed, low and slow. It roasted for 2 to 3 hours on that BBQ and from what I understand it came out fantastic. All I got was one tiny little bite off of a rib bone. That did taste pretty darn good. I heard it wasn't too dry, which can be hard to achieve with a wild goose. That was thanks to the olive oil and apples. And the cajun seasoning was just right for the crisp, crunchy skin on the outside.

All I know is I walked into the kitchen and found a pile of bones that looked like they had been attacked by a group of nematodes in a Spongebob cartoon. This is after hearing the singer I mentioned earlier rap about our cooked goose as my husband danced through the crowd with the carcass in a pair of prongs over his head.

Ooh how primal! And yummy.

What a fun party and now the goose is cooked!

No comments: