Saturday, July 17, 2010

Cardamom/Pistachio Cake with Lime Syrup


My wonderful boss (no I'm not being sarcastic) is leaving us for bigger and brighter opportunities.  I hate to see her go, but I'm happy for her, and she was an a great excuse for a potluck.  It doesn't take much to come up with an excuse for a potluck where I work.  We're all  food obsessed people.  Not a bad thing in my opinion, even though I'm sure there is some freak out there ready to create a syndrome around it.  Anyway....
One of my co-workers showed up to the potluck with this amazing cake.  Cardamom and Pistachio Cake with Lime Syrup.  (One of several wonderful dishes - I'm still waiting for the corn salad and homemade mac and cheese recipes) I will say though, that Michelle's cake was the most unique and delicious dish there.  I haven't had a chance to make it yet, but I plan to.  She was kind enough to share the recipe and here it is for you to try.

1 cup pistachio meat (or pecans)
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cardamom
1 1/2 cup sugar (3/4 cup for cake, 3/4 cup for sauce)
1 1/2 cup self-rising flour
11 tbsp butter, softened
3 eggs
1/2 cup plain yogurt (or sour cream)
1 large lime ( or two small ones)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease round cake pan and line bottom with wax paper.  Grind pistachios and cardamom in food processor.  Stir in 34 cup sugar and all of flour.  Mix in butter in crumbly.  In separate bowl, mix eggs and yogurt.  Stir into batter.  Pour into cake pan and spread out with spoon (batter is thick) Bake for 45 minutes.  Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert and allow to cool on a rack.

Syrup:
Zest limes and set zest aside.  Sqeeze limes and add enough water to make 1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp total liquid.  Add 3/4 cups sugar.  Heat over medium heat until boiling.  Add lime zest and simmer for about 5 minutes.  Strain out lime zest and allow to cool for 10 minutes.  Syrup will be slightly thickened.

Poke holes in top of cake witha skewer.  Pour syrup over cake and allow it to soak up.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving

No comments: