Monday, July 5, 2010

Mmmmm Bruschetta

I have too many tomatoes in my roommate's fridge this week.  I decided a good way to use some up would be to make some bruschetta.  Not only did it seem like a good way to use a bunch of them up,  it just sounded so good.  I didn't have any basil on hand, and the store was out, so I got creative and bought a jar of pre-made pesto and made the best of it.  I chopped 1 and a half tomatoes, 1/4 cup red onion, tossed in two tablespoons of the pesto, added 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and about 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.  I stirred it altogether, spread olive oil on slices of baguette, and some of the pesto on some and toasted them in the oven.  Straight out of the oven I topped the baguette toasts with the bruschetta.  YUM!  I went with another craving I was having and topped the bruschetta with an anchovy filet.  The saltiness was a great contrast with the sweetness of the tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar. 

I think this will be all the dinner I need for tonight.  Mmmmm.

No comments: