Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Surfside Burger Shack

I noticed this place about a month ago and have been itching to stop in and check them out.  Every local review I've read has been very positive, and they serve only grass fed local Humboldt County beef, a half pound of beef at that. 

I finally got my chance to stop in today, and I'm not sure what possessed me, but I didn't order their 1/2 lb burger.  Instead I ordered the salmon burger.  I don't normally care for salmon burgers, so I'm not sure why I went that route, but I'm very glad I did.  It was made with wild pacific salmon and had all the fixin's on it that a regular burger would have, plus I had them add avocado for a extra dollar.  It was DELICIOUS!  And their fries were fantastic.  I never eat more then three or four fries when I order a burger.  I devoured two thirds of them - way beyond my stomach's capacity!

The restaurant is small and filled with pictures of surfers and bikers, mostly local.  There is a pinball machine as well.  The menu isn't extensive.  It's simple like the restaurant.  Their focus in on good quality ingredients.  You can order several size burgers, from 1 to 4 patties.  They're basic burgers, but you can choose from several extra toppings to specialize your burger.  They also have hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches, salmon burgers, turkey burgers, and veggie burgers.  There are BLT's and I think maybe some sub sandwiches.  They have some salads - at least one on the special today (avocado salad) and several sides.  They do a chicken nugget basket and have a kids menu.  They serve local micro brews, Corona, Pacifica and Pabst Blue Ribbon tall boys.  They have several types of soda and bottled water.  Prices range from from $6 to $9 and you get enough food to justify the price.  The Surfside Burger Shack is family owned - Chad Smith is the owner, and you can find them at 445 5th street in Eureka CA.  They do have take out menus and you can call them at 707-268-1295. 

And if you're really hungry and up for a challenge, every weekend they have the Tsunami Eating Challenge.  It's a quad burger with all the regular toppings plus 4 extra toppings.  I think you have to eat the fries too - a combo item.  You have 1 hour to finish.  Their regular burgers are huge, so it would take a big hunger to get a quad down in my opinion.  If you finish in an hour, the meal is free, you get your picture on the wall and a free t-shirt.  So if you're real hungry - I dare you to try - double dog dare you! 

No comments: